About The Library

The Bridgman Public Library first opened its doors in 1966 in what today is Molly’s Beach Walk Cafe on Lake Street in downtown Bridgman.  Mrs. Marilyn Roth was the first (and only) BPL librarian at the time. 

After a move down the street three years later into the old bank building, the library continued to grow and the need for more space became apparent.  

The first Friends of the Library group was formed in 1981 and they immediately began fundraising for a new library building to be built.  During this time, Dr. and Mrs. Dale Smith decided to donate land for the new library between Baldwin Rd. and Lake Street. And in November 1983 a grant was received by the state of Michigan which covered 40% of construction costs while the remaining 60% was raised by the Friends group and the local community. 

Groundbreaking took place in February 1984 and by January 1985 the new building was officially opened.  

In 2003, an addition was built that almost doubled the square footage of the building and in 2019 an interior refresh updated paint, carpeting and furniture. 

Over the years, BPL has continued to evolve and grow and has become a fundamental part of the Bridgman community.

Currently, the Bridgman Public Library services the city of Bridgman, Lake Township, Chikaming Township and is a reciprocal library for the Stevensville/ Lincoln Township, St Joseph and Berrien Springs libraries. As of 2024, BPL serves a population of 6,363 with 4,433 active borrowers.

Your story is a piece of our puzzle.

Submit your Library Story

Sign up to receive our Email Newsletter.

Sign up to receive our weekly email newsletter. Be sure to add bpl@bridgmanlibrary.com to your contact list!